Shed catches fire sparking blaze with 'thick black smoke' in Rushmere St Andrew
PUBLISHED: 19:14 26 April 2017 | UPDATED: 19:18 26 April 2017
Suffolk firefighters have managed to put out a blaze which sparked in a shed in Rushmere St Andrew this evening.
Two crews from Ipswich East and Princes Street were sent to the scene just before 6pm to reports of thick black smoke pouring out of a building in The Street, close to its junction with Playford Road.
When they arrived they discovered the fire had started in a shed, which measured 10m by 4m – initial reports suggested it had sparked in a row of derelict cottages.
Behind them was a shed which fire crews found well alight, a spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service said.
Firefighters managed to extinguish the blaze quickly and safely, thanks to early calls by passers by who alerted crews after seeing thick smoke in the area.
They helped to raise the alarm by dialling 999.
A stop was called on the incident shortly before 6.30pm, but fire crews are expected remain at the scene to carry out checks for hotspots.