Shed destroyed in blaze
A KIRTON homeowner was today sifting through the remains of his burnt-out garden shed.Matt Leggett returned to his Bucklesham Road house to find the shed and an adjoining greenhouse completely destroyed by a blaze, which took firefighters 30 minutes to extinguish.
A KIRTON homeowner was today sifting through the remains of his burnt-out garden shed.
Matt Leggett returned to his Bucklesham Road house to find the shed and an adjoining greenhouse completely destroyed by a blaze, which took firefighters 30 minutes to extinguish.
Lawnmowers, plumbing tools and piles of old wood were destroyed in the fire, which broke out early yesterday.
While the shed was completely destroyed, Mr Leggett, 31, said most of its contents were worthless.
You may also want to watch:
"It was just old junk. There was a lot of stuff in there," he said.
"The trouble is it was just full of wood."
- 1 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 2 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 3 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 4 Norwich Road closed after crash near BMW garage
- 5 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 6 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich
- 7 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 8 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 9 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 10 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
Mr Leggett, who lives in Medlands, Kirton, is renovating the Bucklesham Road house and he said he had planned to remove the shed anyway.
"I was going to rip it all down in the summer," he said.
Firefighters from Felixstowe fought the blaze and limited damage to the shed and a small section of a nearby fence.
It is still unclear what sparked the fire in the ageing shed but Mr Leggett said some work was carried out inside it on Wednesday.
Mr Leggett said neighbours had told him that at its height the fire was ferocious.
"They said the flames were 40 or 50 foot.
"There was a gas canister in there. I reckon that would have made a big noise when it went up.
"The firefighters were apparently sifting through it all for two hours."
Sean Sheppard, who was helping with the clean-up, added: "The chap next door said the flames were roaring."
The cause of the blaze is not being treated as suspicious.