Shock after body found in lake
AN INVESTIGATION has been launched today after a body was found in a fishing lake.The body, thought to be that of a 45 to 50-year-old unidentified male, was discovered at around 4.30pm yesterday.
AN INVESTIGATION has been launched today after a body was found in a fishing lake.
The body, thought to be that of a 45 to 50 year old unidentified male, was discovered at around 4.30pm yesterday by two fishermen in Salary Brook on the Greenstead Estate in Colchester.
Police have now cordoned off the area and are interviewing shocked residents in a bid for information.
Joe Thwaits, 31, of Woodcock Close, Colchester and Scott Collins, 31 of Parsons Heath, Colchester, made the grisly discovery while on a regular visit to the lakes as part of their lifelong hobby of fishing.
Mr Thwaits said: “We were down there having a walk around and I saw what looked like a body.
“I saw the back of the head and the shoulders floating on top of the water.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
- 6 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 7 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 8 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 9 Pensioner who was racially abusive has jail sentence cut
- 10 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
“It's not the sort of thing you see everyday really, I've been going down there all my life fishing.
“It hadn't been there long, a couple of hours maybe.”
Mr Collins said: “I just wanted to see if it was a child or not.
“There was a bit of hair and then I knew it was a body.”
Residents who live in the flats that overlook Salary Brook lakes, which has been a popular sight for fishermen for many years, said they heard a woman screaming at around 11pm the previous night.