Shocked neighbours react to suspected murder in Stowmarket
- Credit: Archant
Neighbours have reacted to the arrest of a man on suspicion of murder following the death of a woman in Stowmarket last night.
Police launched an investigation after a woman, believed to be in her 60s, was found unresponsive at an address in The Brickfields at 10.20pm on Saturday.
Paramedics attended but the woman was declared dead at the scene, officers said.
Suffolk Constabulary said the death is being treated as suspicious and a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
A resident of The Brickfields since 1987 when the development was built, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “We got on very well with them.”
A nearby resident walking his dog who has lived in Stowmarket for 54 years said: “It’s absolutely terrible. Nothing like this, to my knowledge, has ever happened before.
“The biggest problem until now has been parents parking when taking their kids to school.
“I’m very sorry to hear about it.”
- 1 Man 'punched and slashed' in serious assault in car park at Ipswich B&M
- 2 Ellie uses 4 tonne truck to make impressive entrance at school prom
- 3 Ipswich man, 27, arrested after stabbing in Bury St Edmunds car park
- 4 Tent, kitchen units and bedding dumped in 'unsightly' fly-tipping
- 5 Burger van owner's anger after thieves steal food from trailer in Ipswich
- 6 Man in 40s stabbed at town centre multi-storey car park
- 7 Travellers remain at Ipswich park after arrival last week
- 8 'We're going to push back!' - Ashton's message to Norwich City
- 9 Ipswich firm admits mis-selling foam loft insulation to Suffolk customers
- 10 Five popular eateries that have opened in Ipswich so far this year
A police cordon is in place at the property and anyone with information is urged to call 101, quoting incident number 401 of December 30.
An East of England Ambulance Service Trust (EEAST) spokesman said in a statement: “The EEAST received a call at 10.22pm on December 30 to The Brickfields, Stowmarket, to a report of a woman who was not breathing.
“An ambulance crew, ambulance officer and rapid response vehicle were dispatched.
“They treated a woman in cardiac arrest. Despite their best efforts, the patient sadly died at the scene.”
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said in a statement: “A man has been arrested following the death of a woman in Stowmarket last night, Saturday, December 30.
“Police were called to an address in The Brickfields at 10.20pm.
“On arrival at the property a woman, believed to be aged in her 60s, was discovered unresponsive. Paramedics attended the address but the woman was declared deceased at the scene.
“The death is being treated as suspicious and a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.
“A police cordon is in place at the property whilst officers carry out an investigation.
“Anyone who has any information in relation to this incident is asked to contact Suffolk Police on 101, quoting incident number 401 of Saturday, December 30.”