Shop manager tells of robbery
SHOPKEEPER Gillian Farthing today spoke of the panic she felt, when a man demanded money from her.The incident happened at about 9.40pm yesterday at Bixley Off Licence, in Bixley Road, Ipswich.
SHOPKEEPER Gillian Farthing today spoke of the panic she felt, when a man demanded money from her.
The incident happened at about 9.40pm yesterday at Bixley Off Licence, in Bixley Road, Ipswich.
The offender entered the shop and approached the till behind which Mrs Farthing was working, and demanded money.
Mrs Farthing, who is the shop's manageress, feared the man was armed with a weapon.
She said today: "He came into the shop with his face covered and immediately I knew there was something wrong because I didn't recognise him.
"I've been working here for 18 years and I know most people. He came straight in front of me and said, 'open the till and give me the money'.
- 1 Emergency road closure in place on busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suspected drink-driver charged after three-car collision in Ipswich
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Rudolph starts his run - when is he coming to your Ipswich street?
- 5 Family's Christmas lights tribute to Jessica, 28, who died after giving birth
- 6 Will 'traditional' new homes at Ipswich Garden Suburb soon be obsolete?
- 7 Snow falls over Suffolk and more sub-zero temperatures to come
- 8 Drunk woman attacked former partner with knife
- 9 Anti-crime campaigners plan Christmas grotto at tattoo studio
- 10 Surprise snowglobe gift leaves Harvey, 4, 'over the moon'
"I got a bit panicky because I thought he had something in his trousers.
"I started to hesitate but then he just lent over and grabbed the till, and emptied it on its side. He took all the notes but left the change."
The offender then ran off in the Felixstowe Road direction, with an unknown quantity of cash.
Mrs Farthing dialled 999 immediately after the incident and was full of praise for the response of the police.
The offender is described as a white male, 5ft 10ins to 6ft tall, of slim build and fair complexion. He wore a dark-coloured hooded zip-up top with a dark roll-neck jumper underneath.
Police would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident, or who may recognise the offender's description.
Anyone with any information should call Dc Ged Carlon on 01473 383133 or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555111.