Shop manager tells of robbery
SHOPKEEPER Gillian Farthing today spoke of the panic she felt, when a man demanded money from her.The incident happened at about 9.40pm yesterday at Bixley Off Licence, in Bixley Road, Ipswich.
SHOPKEEPER Gillian Farthing today spoke of the panic she felt, when a man demanded money from her.
The incident happened at about 9.40pm yesterday at Bixley Off Licence, in Bixley Road, Ipswich.
The offender entered the shop and approached the till behind which Mrs Farthing was working, and demanded money.
Mrs Farthing, who is the shop's manageress, feared the man was armed with a weapon.
You may also want to watch:
She said today: "He came into the shop with his face covered and immediately I knew there was something wrong because I didn't recognise him.
"I've been working here for 18 years and I know most people. He came straight in front of me and said, 'open the till and give me the money'.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 3 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 4 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 5 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 6 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 7 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 8 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 9 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
- 10 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
"I got a bit panicky because I thought he had something in his trousers.
"I started to hesitate but then he just lent over and grabbed the till, and emptied it on its side. He took all the notes but left the change."
The offender then ran off in the Felixstowe Road direction, with an unknown quantity of cash.
Mrs Farthing dialled 999 immediately after the incident and was full of praise for the response of the police.
The offender is described as a white male, 5ft 10ins to 6ft tall, of slim build and fair complexion. He wore a dark-coloured hooded zip-up top with a dark roll-neck jumper underneath.
Police would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at the time of the incident, or who may recognise the offender's description.
Anyone with any information should call Dc Ged Carlon on 01473 383133 or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555111.