Search

Shower interrupted as fire breaks out

PUBLISHED: 10:35 21 November 2001 | UPDATED: 10:53 03 March 2010

AN Ipswich manager got the shock of his life today when a fire broke out just as he was about to take a shower.

Andrew Kirkwood told how he smelt burning plastic just minutes after turning on an extractor fan and shower power switch at his Woodbridge Road home.

AN Ipswich manager got the shock of his life today when a fire broke out just as he was about to take a shower.

Andrew Kirkwood told how he smelt burning plastic just minutes after turning on an extractor fan and shower power switch at his Woodbridge Road home.

Fire chiefs, who suspected an electrical fault in the extractor fan that takes steam out of the bathroom and into Mr Kirkwood's adjoining shed, warned all householders of the importance of checking wiring regularly.

"I went downstairs and there was smoke appearing in the bathroom. I immediately thought it was the extractor fan and I came outside, looked in the shed and could see an orange glow under the door," said the 37-year-old project manager at BT in Martlesham.

After first ensuring that his girlfriend and cat, Morgan, were safe Mr Kirkwood called the fire brigade.

"The phone didn't work but I had my mobile and they were here in about five minutes," he said recalling the drama, which under folded shortly after 7am.

"It was a bit of a shock but luckily it didn't turn out to be too serious."

Sub officer Wayne Crabbe said: "We can not be sure if it was faulty wiring to the extractor fan or the extractor fan itself that was at fault.

"There was a small fire in the shed and some smoke logging to the bathroom, which the extractor fan ventilated.

"I would advise everyone to check out wiring regularly and if in doubt to get an expert in as soon as possible."

One fire crew from Colchester Road fire headquarters attended the incident.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists