Sir Bobby hits halfway mark for charity
FORMER Ipswich Town and England boss Sir Bobby Robson has hit the halfway mark in his quest to raise half a million pounds for charity.The 75-year-old footballing knight is campaigning to raise funds for a state-of-the-art cancer research centre to help doctors diagnose and find new treatments for the disease.
FORMER Ipswich Town and England boss Sir Bobby Robson has hit the halfway mark in his quest to raise half a million pounds for charity.
The 75-year-old footballing knight is campaigning to raise funds for a state-of-the-art cancer research centre to help doctors diagnose and find new treatments for the disease.
Sir Bobby said that through The Sir Bobby Robson Foundation charity, he wants to repay the NHS for the care he has received since he was first diagnosed with cancer in 1992.
The charity was founded to raise money needed by the NHS to equip the new Early Cancer Trials Unit at the Northern Centre for Cancer Care being built at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle upon Tyne.
The money will be used to pay for treatment beds, treatment rooms, a state-of-the art laboratory, consulting rooms and offices at the unit, which is to be named The Sir Bobby Robson Cancer Trials Research Centre.
Donors have pledged £263,321.47, the sum being made up of £1,284.17 online donations and £242,037.30 donated off-line.
- 1 A14 reopens near Ipswich after four-vehicle crash
- 2 'He was a really good man' - Neighbour's shock following Ipswich house fire
- 3 Former nightclub with flat conversion plan heads to auction
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer sentenced to two years in jail
- 5 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
- 6 'I don't want families going through this' - Mum backs bridge campaign
- 7 Mental health referral review after death of 'wonderful' 16-year-old boy
- 8 Police cordon off Felixstowe town centre car park after incident
- 9 Person dies in Ipswich house fire
- 10 Estate agent switches household’s energy supply without telling tenant
To donate, go to www.sirbobbyrobsonfoundation.org.uk