Site visit to determine new homes in ‘under siege’ Trimley St Mary
PUBLISHED: 10:00 10 June 2016
A Suffolk village said to be “under siege” from developers will be the subject of a site visit determining plans for a possible 98 new homes.
Suffolk Coastal District Council’s planning committee yesterday agreed to visit The Josselyns in Trimley St Mary, near Felixstowe, after concerns were raised that its narrow width made it an unsuitable access route for the new housing scheme.
Bloor Homes’ application or the south of Thurmans Lane had been recommended by officers, who said the site was deemed acceptable in the Felixstowe Area Action Plan.
Its inclusion of seven bungalows and 32 affordable homes, was also praised.
However the application had received more than 70 public letters of objection, many of which questioned the narrow access to the site via The Josselyns, and the high volumes of housing that residents claim has already strained local services and infrastructure.
The planning committee heard a separate application for a further 50 homes had been submitted for a neighbouring site in recent weeks.
Nigel Pickover, who lives next to the proposed development site, said seven applications were currently proposed for the Trimleys amounting to 1,000 homes. “We are under siege,” he added.
“In many ways we are fighting for our way of life.”
Although the combined applications meant the overall site would be set to receive almost 150 homes – far more than the 100 set out in the FAAP – officer Liz Beighton said it was not considered to be over-development adding that fewer homes would be an inefficient use of land.
Parish councillor Clive Minnican accused the district council of behaving in a “cavalier manner”, by interpreting the FAAP in this way.
Felixstowe ward member Mike Deacon said he had “sympathy” with the residents and agreed the entrance at The Josselyns seemed “very narrow”.
Andy Smith, who also represents Felixstowe, said the application was “excellent” in most respects.
However, upon visiting the site, he said his “jaw dropped” when he saw the width of the proposed access.
The committee voted in favour of a site visit, which will take place on Monday, June 20.
Speaking after the meeting, Jaimie Wragg, design and technical director at Bloor Homes, said: “We are confident that this scheme is sustainable and fully compliant with all the relevant planning policies, but we respect the committee’s decision to defer it.
“We will review the committee’s reasons for deferral carefully, and work with officers to respond to any issues raised so that we can get on and build the new homes that are so desperately needed.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.