Six crews tackle Ipswich house blaze
VIDEO An Ipswich woman was alerted to a fire in her house today by a neighbour who saw smoke pouring from her roof.Around 30 firefighters were called to the blaze which broke out in the upper floor of a three-storey townhouse in Westerfield Road at around 9.20am today.
AN Ipswich woman was alerted to a fire in her house today by a neighbour who saw smoke pouring from her roof.
Around 30 firefighters were called to the blaze which broke out in the upper floor of a three-storey townhouse in Westerfield Road at around 9.20am today.
Six crews were sent to the scene with firefighters wearing breathing apparatus as the tried to contain the blaze.
A turntable ladder was also used to tackle the blaze which is has spread through the top floors of the large house.
Originally only three crews were called in. However fears of the blaze ripping through the building meant another three engines were sent.
The homeowner, Gill Owens, said: “I was alerted by the smell of smoke and someone knocking on my door.
- 1 Take a look inside 15th Century farmhouse near Ipswich up for sale
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The county's criminals locked up in the last week
- 3 Missing 13-year-old boy from Hadleigh found safe
- 4 BrewDog, The Botanist and other reasons to be positive about Ipswich town centre
- 5 Empty Ipswich office block could become new flats
- 6 Tattingstone 'suitcase murder': 'Never too late' say police on 55th anniversary
- 7 Take a look inside new Ipswich restaurant that makes pizza the 'proper way'
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Is Ipswich really England's oldest town? Experts give their view
- 10 Two Magpies Bakery set to open in Woodbridge after rapid revamp of store
“My neighbour had been walking her dog and she alerted me to it.”
The fire is thought to have spread from a bathroom down lighter into a bedroom and dressing room and then into insulation in the roof of the building.
The homeowner added: “I'm not very happy because it's just before Christmas and the children's presents, which I wrapped last night, are where the fire is.”
Assistant divisional officer Clive Thorpe said: “We have got a severe fire in a nice domestic property.
“It is in the roof where access is very tight.
“We believe it started in the bathroom but we are still investigating and trying to put the fire out.
“It is a difficult job and there is severe damage to the third floor of the house.”
Witnesses say a huge amount of smoke was pouring from the building while firefighters tackled the blaze.
Passer-by Pamela Geoghegan, said: “I was in the park taking the dog for a walk when I saw thick black smoke coming from the roof.”
Mrs Owens, who was in the house at the time, said she was grateful to her neighbour for alerting her to the fire and the fire fighters who dealt with the blaze.
She said: “They came really quickly and they've been brilliant.
“They're really nice guys and they showed such consideration for the house in every respect.”
The fire was put out shortly before 11am.
Have you been affected by a fire in your home? Call the Evening Star newsdesk on 01473 324788 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org