Smart money's on France to win Euro 2004
ISN'T it extraordinary how times like this – the build-up to major football tournaments – bring out the flag-waving kid in grown men all round the land?I don't just mean those now sporting those silly plastic objects clipped to the windows of every third car you see.
ISN'T it extraordinary how times like this – the build-up to major football tournaments – bring out the flag-waving kid in grown men all round the land?
I don't just mean those now sporting those silly plastic objects clipped to the windows of every third car you see. I mean all those supposed "experts" who should, and in reality probably do, know better than to tip England for glory.
What on earth makes apparently sane people like Terry Venables and even the thinking-man's Frenchman, Arsene Wenger, name England as likely runners-up – even possible winners – at Euro 2004?
Haven't they noticed England's manager still doesn't know what his best midfield formation is? Can they be blind to the fact he persists in picking players out of position?
You may also want to watch:
Don't they realise he is so out of touch with reality he persists in believing David James and Emile Heskey are players of international quality?
Having said all of which, it does remain possible England might reach the final. Not because they're that good – any team from the top half of the Premiership would surely give them a pasting – but because there are question marks against most of the other teams too.
- 1 Car crashes into cafe closing Ipswich road
- 2 Ipswich man charged with dangerous driving following Audi crash in Norwich Road
- 3 Person taken to hospital after collision in Sainsbury's car park in Ipswich
- 4 New special school planned for former BT site
- 5 Women facing prison after admitting robbery in Ipswich
- 6 Rolling road block put in place on A14 after concerns for safety
- 7 Look inside beautiful £1.2million home with a pool near Felixstowe
- 8 Car hits front of Ipswich convenience store
- 9 Men sentenced for 'vicious' attack in Ipswich churchyard
- 10 12 flats could be built at former offices
The exception is France. The current French side is much better, and more exciting, than their 1998 team who were such lucky World Cup winners.
It is simply impossible to see any other country lifting the European crown on July 4.