Smoke victim tried to save cat from fire
A MAN had to be resuscitated today after he went back into a burning house in a bid to rescue his beloved cat.The unconscious man was pulled from the blazing terrace house by firefighters and was taken to Ipswich Hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.
A MAN had to be resuscitated today after he went back into a burning house in a bid to rescue his beloved cat.
The unconscious man was pulled from the blazing terrace house by firefighters and was taken to Ipswich Hospital suffering from the effects of smoke inhalation.
It is understood that about five young men and women where in the house in Rosebery Road, Ipswich, when the fire broke out in the ground floor dining area at about 11.50pm yesterday.
Two other people were treated at the scene by paramedics suffering from smoke inhalation.
The fire is not being treated as suspicious and is believed to have started as a result of bedding being too close to a gas fire.
Assistant Divisional Officer Paul Seager, based at Princes Street, Ipswich, said: "We were called to the house fire at about 11.50pm.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 5 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 6 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 7 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 8 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 9 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 10 New military shop opens in Sailmakers selling Christmas gifts
"On arrival crews were met by a group of people outside and smoke could be seen pumping out of the house.
"We told that one man had gone back into the house to rescue a cat which was believed to still be inside.
"When we entered the house the man was found lying inside and we dragged him. He was unconscious and we worked on him using a resuscitator. When the paramedics arrived they took over and then took him to hospital by ambulance."
It took firefighters from Colchester Road and Princes Street just under one hour to bring the flames under control.
ADO Seager added: "The fire is not being treated as suspicious. We believe the fire started as a result of some bedding being too close to a gas fire which caught light."
The fire service carried out a thorough search of the house and there was no sign of the cat inside.