Smoking ban on trains
AS the pressure on smokers was being cranked up across Britain, a new front in the battle against tobacco in East Anglia was opened up today.Train operator one announced it was to ban smoking in all its trains from September 6.
AS the pressure on smokers was being cranked up across Britain, a new front in the battle against tobacco in East Anglia was opened up today.
Train operator one announced it was to ban smoking in all its trains from September 6.
At present there are two smoking carriages on InterCity trains between Norwich and London through Ipswich.
However once Ipswich tunnel is re-opened in September, more modern trains are to be introduced on the route and these do not have smoking carriages.
A spokesman for the company said research among passengers suggested that most people wanted all non-smoking trains so it was decided to introduce the ban from the re-opening of the tunnel.
One Great Eastern trains have been non-smoking for many years, and most trains in Britain are now smoke-free.
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 3 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 4 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 5 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 6 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 7 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 8 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 9 Driver taken to hospital after two vehicle crash near Ipswich train station
- 10 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
After the ban is introduced the only company to continue to allow smoking on its trains will be GNER which runs express trains from London to Leeds, Newcastle, and Edinburgh.
"The only thing to smoke on the rail lines of East Anglia will be the occasional steam special!" said the one spokesman.
Do you support the smoke ban? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com