Society steps in to refund poppy cash
Ipswich Building Society has donated �100 to the Poppy Appeal after The Evening Star reported how a collection tin had been stolen from a seafront hotel.
FELIXSTOWE: Ipswich Building Society has donated �100 to the Poppy Appeal after The Evening Star reported how a collection tin had been stolen from a seafront hotel.
The box was taken from the Marlborough Hotel during the 24th annual reunion of the Royal Anglian Regiment on Saturday, October 24 - the day the Poppy Appeal was launched.
It had only been on the reception desk for a few hours before the theft took place.
Dawn Kemp, Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal organiser for Felixstowe, branded the theft as “absolutely disgusting”.
You may also want to watch:
Following the �100 donation, she said: “We are absolutely delighted that Ipswich Building Society has helped us in this way.
“Losing the previous tin was a real blow, but thanks to the support of the society, we will be able to carry on supporting the Royal British Legion's charity work. We couldn't thank them enough.”
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 4 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 5 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 6 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 7 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 8 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 9 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
- 10 Two people rescued after search off Harwich coast
Ipswich Building Society's finance director Kieron Blackburn said: “The theft of money intended to support ex-servicemen and their families is bad enough, but to steal this money during the Royal Anglian reunion is truly shocking.
“As both a member of the Territorial Army, and a director at Ipswich Building Society I am delighted to make this donation and show our support for the Royal British Legion.”