Southend-Antwerp travellers get to try ‘the World’s Largest Belgian Bun’
- Credit: Archant
An Essex bakery has created was is claimed to be the world’s largest Belgian Bun ? to celebrate the launch of a new route between London Southend Airport and Antwerp.
The bun, measuring nearly one metre wide and weighing in at more than 17kg, was made by Tiptree Patisserie, based in Witham.
The recipe, which took several weeks to perfect, included 15kg of flour, 2.6kg of sultanas, 2kg of yeast, 3kg of apricot glaze and 1.5kg of Wilkin & Sons Tiptree Lemon Curd, plus a topping consisting of 6kg of fondant icing and 50 cherries.
Tiptree Patisserie bakery manager Clarence Hayden and his team were joined by Glyn Jones, chief executive of Stobart Aviation, which owns Southend Airport, to cut the bun and share it with passengers.
Mr Hayden said: “We were approached by London Southend Airport a few weeks ago to take part in this event and gladly accepted their challenge to make the World’s Largest Belgian Bun.
You may also want to watch:
“After a month of trial runs, we perfected the dough weight and baking times, to create a whopping bun, measuring nearly a whole metre across. I and the team at Tiptree Patisserie would like to wish the new route to Antwerp every success.”
The Antwerp service is being operated by Stobart Air through a franchise partnership with Flybe and runs four times weekly, on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
- 1 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 2 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 3 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 4 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 5 Police find cannabis growing by the side of A14
- 6 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 7 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 8 'I want to train as HGV driver but there are so many delays'
- 9 New Starbucks coffee shop planned for Ipswich town centre
- 10 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
Mr Jones said: “We’re hugely excited about what we’re now offering passengers – not only this amazing cake, but even more choice with a brand-new route to Antwerp, named one of the Top 10 Best Cities 2018 by ‘Lonely Planet.’
“We’ve hundreds of extra flights and thousands of more seats for our summer season, but what is helping London Southend Airport really go from strength to strength is our promise to deliver a better way to travel - more comfort, faster access, fewer queues and a friendlier experience than larger airports in the South East.”
The launch celebration also included a cycling challenge, offering a prize of four return flights on the new route, a chance to try Belgian beers and waffles, and a mini jar of Tiptree Belgian chocolate spread for passengers, plus a traditional water arch salute from the fire service.