Spa prepares for centenary celebrations
BOSSES at Felixstowe's Spa Pavilion have today announced a series of events to mark the venue's 100th anniversary. The theatre reaches the milestone birthday on June 25.
BOSSES at Felixstowe's Spa Pavilion have today announced a series of events to mark the venue's 100th anniversary.
The theatre reaches the milestone birthday on June 25.
Theatre manger Julie Howes said: “We have a weekend of events starting on Thursday June 25 with a gala reception.
“On the 26th we'll be having an open day where people will get the chance to tour behind the scenes at the theatre as well as look at displays on the history of the Spa organised in conjunction with Felixstowe Museum.”
The weekend will climax in a show on Saturday June 27 performed by a number of amateur theatre groups and dance schools which use the venue.
Julie, who will be producing the show and appearing in a section by theatre group Company Of Four, said: “A number of theatre groups will be performing sections divided through the last ten decades.
- 1 Apology for Ipswich pub landlords after 'insensitive LGBT+ comments'
- 2 ‘I thought I was going to die’ - Woman feels let down after spiking
- 3 'My life is hard enough' - Suffolk disabled dad struggles to repair home
- 4 More than 200 homes in Ipswich without electricity after power cut
- 5 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 6 Gucci items hidden in Asda stores across the country
- 7 Matchday Recap: Town out of Trophy after shootout loss
- 8 Man acted as lookout while accomplice robbed Ipswich store
- 9 'A lovely green space' - race against time to buy mini-Ipswich woodland
- 10 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
“We have a cast of 300 and this will be the most ambitious show the venue has ever produced.
“We are looking forward to it immensely.”
Assistant producer and choreographer Suzie Lowe is organising a number of sections including a 1980s selection by The Dennis Lowe Theatre Company which will include songs from musicals from the decade.
She said: “We have got loads of groups taking part and a strong cast of all ages. It will be a fantastic show with something for everybody using songs and dance styles from the last 100 years.”
The weekend will culminate with a sing-a-long at Sunday lunch on June 28.
What are your memories of the Spa Pavilion? Have you performed there? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
1900/1910s - Let's all go to the Music Hall - Company of Four
1920s - The Roaring Twenties - Gallery Players
1930s - Big Band Swing Time - Deben High School
1940s - War Time Nostalgia - Stage Door Theatre Company
1950s - The Fabulous 50s - Summer Holiday- Suffolk Youth Theatre
1960s - The Sensational 60s - The Co-op Juniors
1970s - Abba Mania - Stage Coach
1980s - Back to the 80s - The Dennis Lowe Theatre Company
1990s - The 90s - Michael Jackson Mix - Streetwise Inc
2000s - Millennium Musicals - Ipswich Operatic and Dramatic Society