Search

Speedway ace has home raided

PUBLISHED: 19:30 23 April 2004 | UPDATED: 04:49 02 March 2010

EX Speedway ace Lawrence Hare has been left stunned today after burglars broke in to his new home and stole precious items, including a wheelchair.

Thieves ransacked a room at the back of his house in Old Norwich Road, which is currently being renovated by builders, stealing a 42 inch plasma television set and a custom made Kuschal wheelchair.

EX Speedway ace Lawrence Hare has been left stunned today after burglars broke in to his new home and stole precious items, including a wheelchair.

Thieves ransacked a room at the back of his house in Old Norwich Road, which is currently being renovated by builders, stealing a 42 inch plasma television set and a custom made Kuschal wheelchair.

Lawrence also believes they may have stolen one of his old speedway helmets.

Speaking to The Evening Star today Lawrence said: "It's pretty low. It's turmoil as it is at the moment.

"I'm in between here and my mum's house all the time and I'm sorting out so much stuff in my head at the moment.

"It's not just renovating a house, it's renovating it for a disabled person's needs which is so much harder."

The burglary happened between 6pm on Wednesday April 21 and midday on Thursday April 22.

Lawrence, 34, said: "I come here every day to see how things are progressing and when I got here yesterday the builders told me someone had had a go at the back window.

"The room at the back is sealed off so they don't go in there and they hadn't realised what had happened.

"When I went in there the place had been turned upside down. It's horrible knowing that people have gone through your personal stuff like that."

He believes the burglars may have stolen the wheelchair to help them move the TV: "It's very heavy and it would have been difficult to lift. I think they probably put it in the wheelchair to help them get it out."

The burglary is a set-back for Lawrence who, just three weeks ago, spoke to The Star about his happiness with new girlfriend Lucy Westley. The pair are looking forward to settling down together in the bungalow once the conversion has been finished.

Lawrence said: " It's difficult to tell exactly what's missing at the moment as I've got stuff stored all over the place and until we move in I don't think I'm really going to know exactly what I've lost."

Police believe at least two people were involved in the burglary as the items were so large.

Anyone who has any information or saw anything suspicious should contact Detective Constable Lloyd Stewart at Ipswich CID on 01473 613 500.

NWhat do you think of these burglars? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star