Squirrels caused scout hut fire
PESKY squirrels are thought to be the cause of a fire at a scout hut in Ipswich, it emerged today.Repair work on the 13th Ipswich Sea Scouts premises off Rushmere Road is set to begin this week following a small fire in the roof.
PESKY squirrels are thought to be the cause of a fire at a scout hut in Ipswich, it emerged today.
Repair work on the 13th Ipswich Sea Scouts premises off Rushmere Road is set to begin this week following a small fire in the roof.
It is believed some squirrels had got into the roof and chewed through wires, causing a fire to begin.
Fire crews from Ipswich arrived at the scene near the Cherry Lane Recreation Ground at about 12.50pm on Froday and brought the blaze under control.
You may also want to watch:
The damage appears to be limited although a new lock on the door will be needed after firefighters forced their way in to tackle the fire.
Peter Thurston, president of the Scout club, said: “We had about five squirrels in the roof last year, which we had to get rid of as they are a pain.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 4 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 5 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 6 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 7 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 10 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
“Our group leader had been in the hall in the morning and smelt burning but thought it was coming from a garden. He has gone on holiday now.
“Hopefully the damage isn't too bad. I don't know if the whole place needs rewiring yet but if it does, that could be expensive.
“It's lucky it happened during the holiday time as we have clubs meeting here every night usually. It's also lucky it wasn't last weekend because we had our morning market to raise money for our extension.”
A spokeswoman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: “Two crews from Princes Street attended. It was a small fire in the lighting unit and roof. It is not being treated as suspicious.”
The incident was over within 40 minutes.
Have you had any similar problems with wildlife causing mischief? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.