Staff and emergency crews praised for quick action after fire at Thurleston Residential Home
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
Emergency services were called to a bathroom fire at Thurleston Residential Home in Ipswich this morning.
Just before 8.10am, three fire crews from Princes Street were called to the incident, described by home deputy manager Vicki Wells to be a “small, contained” fire in a communal bathroom, which had been brought under control by 8.40am.
The cause of the fire has not yet been confirmed, however it is thought it could have been started by an electrical fault.
Miss Wells said: “The staff here were absolutely fantastic. The residents have said how fantastic the staff were because of how calm they were, and how they managed to keep the residents calm.
“I cannot praise them enough. One of the residents said how lovely it was that they acted so well.
“They stayed calm and highly professional throughout.
“They were under so much pressure, we were all scared, but they remained calm.
- 1 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 7 roadworks for drivers in Suffolk to be aware of this week
- 5 Woman injured after leg bitten by dog in Ipswich
- 6 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 7 New 99-room Ipswich Travelodge expected to open next year
- 8 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 9 Some East of England Co-op stores unable to take cash
- 10 Men charged with heroin and crack cocaine offences in Ipswich
“The fire brigade and the paramedics, too, I can’t praise them enough.
“It was a small fire. It was contained quite quickly by the fire service.
“Everyone was safe.”
Staff at the home were alerted to the fire after smoke from the flames set off the fire alarms within the building.
No-one was injured in the incident.