Stand bid attracts 2,000 names
A BID to have Ipswich Town's North Stand renamed in Sir Bobby Robson's honour has been backed by more than 2,000 supporters, it emerged today. Blues die-hard Andy Feasey came up with the idea to mark the achievements of the club's legendary former boss in turning Town into one of the premier sides in Europe in the 70s and 80s.
A BID to have Ipswich Town's North Stand renamed in Sir Bobby Robson's honour has been backed by more than 2,000 supporters, it emerged today.
Blues die-hard Andy Feasey came up with the idea to mark the achievements of the club's legendary former boss in turning Town into one of the premier sides in Europe in the 70s and 80s.
Mr Feasey created an online petition - www.ipetitions.com/petition/sir_bobby_robson - which has been signed by 2,051 people.
And dozens more fans have added their weight to the campaign by completing petition slips printed inside The Evening Star.
Today, club bosses confirmed the idea was being given careful consideration, although any decision is not expected to be made imminently.
The club acknowledged his huge contribution to Ipswich Town when the Galleria Restaurant in the Greene King Stand was renamed in his honour earlier this year, while a statue of Sir Bobby was unveiled in 2003.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 4 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 5 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 6 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 7 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 8 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 9 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 10 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
The North Stand is the only part of Portman Road which could be renamed, with the Britannia and Greene King stands named as part of commercial deals, and the Cobbold Stand named after the family of the same name which has been associated with the club since its inception in 1878.
The North Stand is also considered by many as the home of Town's most loyal followers.
Sir Bobby was arguably Ipswich's greatest ever manager, winning the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup, as well as firmly establishing Town as a force at home and abroad.
Do you support the campaign? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org