Star man's red card over Town revelation
IPSWICH Town bosses today banned The Evening Star from a press conference called to outline the club's precarious financial state.Sources had leaked details of the club's financial losses last year in advance of publication of the figures due later this week.
By Paul Geater
IPSWICH Town bosses today banned The Evening Star from a press conference called to outline the club's precarious financial state.
Sources had leaked details of the club's financial losses last year in advance of publication of the figures due later this week.
As soon as club chairman David Sheepshanks found that the Star had details, communications director Alesha Gooderham demanded that the figures were suppressed until Thursday.
You may also want to watch:
The club had already called a press conference to explain the figures – and put their own spin on them – on the understanding that details would not be published until Thursday.
It was the Star's intention to respect that – but we were determined to publish the information we had obtained independently of the press conference.
- 1 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 2 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 3 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 6 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 7 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 8 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 9 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 10 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
However, Mrs Gooderham said that as it was our intention to publish these figures today, they were not prepared for the Star to be present at the press conference.
"The chairman was told about your leak and asked Alesha Gooderham to contact your editor about this," said Ipswich Town press manager Terry Baxter.
"Because you are going ahead and publishing this, I'm afraid we have to ask you to leave the press conference. It's nothing personal," he added.