Star's daily warning on rapist
TODAY The Evening Star goes On the Beech to give a daily warning to our readers about the rapist in their midst.We will carry this picture of serial sex offender Steven Beech every day until he finally leaves town.
TODAY The Evening Star goes On the Beech to give a daily warning to our readers about the rapist in their midst.
We will carry this picture of serial sex offender Steven Beech every day until he finally leaves town.
Beech – who has 115 convictions, mainly for sex offences – arrived in Ipswich from Sheffield eight days ago.
Although he is a free man, he is considered so dangerous that he is lodging at the police station and has to be accompanied by two police officers wherever he goes.
His new home is less than 200 yards from the subway where rapist Kevin Chambers attacked an Ipswich teenager just hours after being sent to the town from prison.
Beech, 38, said on Monday that he had met Chambers in prison, and thought he was "a nice bloke."
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
The police station's newest resident said he would be leaving the town after his presence here attracted widespread publicity.
But today he is still at the town's police station. The Star understands that he hasn't left yet because he can't afford to move out of Ipswich.
The online poll on our website has provoked a clear response – 83 per cent of people who have logged on say that Beech should not stay at Ipswich police station.
However today he was still in the town – and every day he stays here, the Evening Star will print his picture to warn women to stay out of his way.
Under the terms of a court order, he is banned from living in the same premises as a woman – even though he moved to Ipswich to be near a woman he claims is his girlfriend.
He came here after being forced out of a house in Sheffield by angry residents worried about a serial sex offender living in the middle of them.