Stealing £27 Christian Dior shower gel costs Ipswich shoplifter £350
- Credit: Sarah Lucy brown
A shoplifter who stole a bottle of shower gel worth £27 must pay £350 in fines and court costs.
Lubomir Kroscen, of Orwell Gardens, Ipswich, admitted theft from a shop when he appeared before the town’s magistrates.
He also admitted to be being in breach of a conditional discharge which he was given for a previous theft.
The 27-year-old took the Christian Dior gel from Boots in Tavern Street on July 15.
Prosecutor Colette Harper said during the afternoon a security officer saw Kroscen acting suspiciously around the fragrance aisle.
He was seen to pick up something and put it in the pocket of his jeans, before leaving without paying for it.
Kroscen was stopped outside the store with the shower gel still in his pocket.
- 1 Omid Djalili cracks Ipswich joke at Queen's Platinum Jubilee show
- 2 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 3 Ford Transit van destroyed in suspected arson attack
- 4 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 5 Charity match held in memory of Tavis Spencer-Aitkens
- 6 OPINION: Back to business - these are the council's plans for Ipswich
- 7 Cricket club praises ambulance service after player collapses in the field
- 8 Brother of Ipswich murder victim to roll out bleed control kits across town
- 9 Travellers move on from Chantry Park in Ipswich
- 10 St Clement's Church ready for new life as an arts centre
The court heard he had previously stolen wine from the Co-op from Foxhall Road for which he was given the conditional discharge.
Mrs Harper said Kroscen had 23 previous convictions, 12 for theft.
Kroscen had no income or benefits at the time of his latest offence and was looking for a job.
He said friends had been keeping and supporting him, but he was too embarrassed to ask them for further help although he needed money.
Kroscen told the court: “I know it was wrong but I couldn’t see any way out.”
Magistrates were told Kroscen, who has lived in Ipswich for 10 years, is now employed.
He was fined £120 for the theft and £40 for breaching his conditional discharge. In addition he must pay £190 in court costs and a victim surcharge.