Stewart Lee review: There are few comedians this gifted on the circuit, so please come back to Ipswich again
- Credit: Archant
Apparently Stewart Lee is never coming back to Ipswich.
He spent a lot of the first half of his show Content Provider, which is nearing the end of its 18- month tour, lamenting the fact that only a small section of the audience got his jokes, the venue was half empty, and he got a better reception in King’s Lynn.
While he may not have got as big a laugh for some of the jokes as expected, which resulted in him painstakingly dissecting it to explain its intended humour, this grumpy demeanour is all part of the act.
With his material ranging from Brexit and Game of Thrones to bondage in the 1930s and annoying under 40s who drink yogurts from pouches for breakfast, it was varied, original and clever.
Whereas the first half felt like a diatribe against the world, including us fans, with plenty of ad-libbing, the second part felt calmer and more storytelling in its nature, less bothered about how much laugh each joke received.
You may also want to watch:
However the reason he wins so many industry accolades is that it is very much crafted - as if his shows are presented for a study on how comedy should be done.
There are few comedians this gifted on the circuit, so please come back to Ipswich again. Your like-minded out of touch metropolitan liberal elite need you.
- 1 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 2 First look at full schedule for Sound City Ipswich music festival
- 3 Matchday Recap: Town close out game to secure big win
- 4 Two arrested after man assaulted in Ipswich
- 5 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 6 Lloyds Bank branch closes temporarily as staff self-isolate due to Covid
- 7 'Microshop' selling only American candy opens in Ipswich
- 8 Felixstowe man caught with thousands of indecent images of children
- 9 School in Ipswich takes 'decisive action' to make rapid improvements
- 10 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them