Stores prepare for blitz on shoplifters
CONVICTED shoplifters are to be banished from more than 50 shops in Ipswich town centre if caught stealing in the run up to Christmas, The Evening Star reveals today. Suffolk stores are bracing themselves for the next six weeks, when pilfering is expected almost to double.
By Colin Adwent
CONVICTED shoplifters are to be banished from more than 50 shops in Ipswich town centre if caught stealing in the run up to Christmas, The Evening Star reveals today.
Suffolk stores are bracing themselves for a thieving blitz over the next six weeks. Pilfering from shops is expected almost to double.
Around 80,000 light-fingered thieves are likely to be arrested throughout the country between now and Christmas, according to the Centre for Retail Research,
You may also want to watch:
Based on previous years' figures, goods worth £447million are likely to be stolen from stores nationally.
In a bid to help defeat the crooks this year a town centre banning order will be implemented in Ipswich for the first time.
- 1 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 5 Man, 20, to face trial over £1,500 drug haul
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 8 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 9 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 10 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR