Stores prepare for blitz on shoplifters
CONVICTED shoplifters are to be banished from more than 50 shops in Ipswich town centre if caught stealing in the run up to Christmas, The Evening Star reveals today. Suffolk stores are bracing themselves for the next six weeks, when pilfering is expected almost to double.
By Colin Adwent
CONVICTED shoplifters are to be banished from more than 50 shops in Ipswich town centre if caught stealing in the run up to Christmas, The Evening Star reveals today.
Suffolk stores are bracing themselves for a thieving blitz over the next six weeks. Pilfering from shops is expected almost to double.
Around 80,000 light-fingered thieves are likely to be arrested throughout the country between now and Christmas, according to the Centre for Retail Research,
You may also want to watch:
Based on previous years' figures, goods worth £447million are likely to be stolen from stores nationally.
In a bid to help defeat the crooks this year a town centre banning order will be implemented in Ipswich for the first time.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich paedophile jailed for downloading indecent images of boys
- 6 Drink-driver reversed into car while banned from the road
- 7 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 Man who spat at neighbour in racist attack given community order
- 10 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR