Stores prepare for blitz on shoplifters
CONVICTED shoplifters are to be banished from more than 50 shops in Ipswich town centre if caught stealing in the run up to Christmas, The Evening Star reveals today. Suffolk stores are bracing themselves for the next six weeks, when pilfering is expected almost to double.
By Colin Adwent
CONVICTED shoplifters are to be banished from more than 50 shops in Ipswich town centre if caught stealing in the run up to Christmas, The Evening Star reveals today.
Suffolk stores are bracing themselves for a thieving blitz over the next six weeks. Pilfering from shops is expected almost to double.
Around 80,000 light-fingered thieves are likely to be arrested throughout the country between now and Christmas, according to the Centre for Retail Research,
Based on previous years' figures, goods worth £447million are likely to be stolen from stores nationally.
In a bid to help defeat the crooks this year a town centre banning order will be implemented in Ipswich for the first time.
- 1 Cycle wands being removed from Ipswich roads
- 2 Things you should know before visiting Spoon World Buffet and Bar
- 3 Gang jailed for 'horrific' torture attack on man in Ipswich home
- 4 Paul Cook sacked by Ipswich Town
- 5 Former BBC DJ to go live with new station
- 6 'Dedicated and devoted' - tributes paid to retired teacher Annick Smith
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 8 Matchday Recap: A replay awaits as Town fail to beat Barrow
- 9 Delays likely on major Ipswich road as 12 days of roadworks planned
- 10 Suffolk headteacher criticises school rankings
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR