Orwell Bridge set to remain closed for much of the day - but hoped to reopen before evening rush hour
- Credit: HIGHWAYS ENGLAND
Highways England have said it hopes the Orwell Bridge will reopen this afternoon before the start of rush hour traffic - meaning it is likely to cause traffic disruption for much of the day.
The closure of the bridge, caused by high winds as a result of Storm Gareth, has been causing major travel delays in the town after it was closed at 7am.
Highways England took to Twitter this morning to reply to concerns from Suffolk residents making their way to work, announcing that they hope to reopen the bridge in the afternoon.
They have also said that they will assess windspeeds at 1pm this afternoon, but that they expect not to reopen by 3pm.
Wind speeds are set to reach up to 60mph in the run up to the afternoon, raising concerns over driver safety.
Drivers have been asked to consider alternative routes until the bridge reopens.
- 1 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 2 Carer avoids jail after fraudulently obtaining £3,500 at Ipswich home
- 3 Push for 4 day work week in Suffolk after company's profits soar 200%
- 4 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 5 Drug dealer escapes jail after £3k worth of cannabis found at home
- 6 Wahoo skating shop moving from Ipswich to Woodbridge
- 7 Ipswich shop owner among UK's top 100 female business women
- 8 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 9 Man charged in connection of drug offences in Ipswich
- 10 Hunt for Vicky's killer continues nearly six months after suspect arrested