Storm victims in candle house fire

TWO people escaped death when their house was engulfed in flames after an accident involving a candle and a gas canister.The blaze broke out at a detached property in Cattsfield, Stutton, near Holbrook, at 9.45pm last night as the area was experiencing a power cut.

TWO people escaped death when their house was engulfed in flames after an accident involving a candle and a gas canister.

The blaze broke out at a detached property in Cattsfield, Stutton, near Holbrook, at 9.45pm last night as the area was experiencing a power cut.

One male occupant of the house, was taken to Ipswich Hospital by ambulance suffering with burns. His injuries are not believed to be serious.

The other occupant, believed to be his mother was also taken to hospital.

Firefighters believe the fire was caused when a portable gas appliance came too near a lit candle and issued a warning to people using gas appliances to open them outside in an area away from any flame.

Assistant divisional officer Karl Rolfe said: "The occupants are very lucky.

Most Read

"Obviously bottled gas and naked flames do not mix and the trouble is, people are so unused to having no electrical main power they perhaps don't take the safeguards they should."

Eyewitnesses from a nearby pub said the house appeared to suddenly burst into flame, immediately engulfing all floors and the roof.

Firefighters from Ipswich and Holbrook were called and closed off the road to allow them access to the main water supply.

Mr Rolfe added:"We have had a severe fire in a detached two-storey house that has basically affected all the floors, every room and the roof.

"Fire was issuing from windows on our arrival. The area had suffered a power cut and we think it's a combination of candles and gas portable appliances.

"Damage is severe throughout. The two occupants have gone to hospital by ambulance."

Mr Rolfe said firefighters would be working throughout the night to dampen down the building and ensure the structure is safe.

Much of the roof was also damaged and the front of the property was stained black.

Eyewitness Carolyn Fryer from Tendring in Essex, was sitting in a nearby pub which had been plunged into darkness following the power cut.

"We were just sitting looking out of the window and saw these really high flames coming out of the back of the house and out of the windows. We came outside but stood way back," she said.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter