Stow teen's dream of pop stardom
STOWMARKET teenager Laura Forde will be reaching for the stars on Sunday when she competes to become a lead vocalist in an international pop band.Laura, 16, from Stowmarket, is one of 15 talented pop wannabes taking part in Star Search 2003 which is being held at Sound, in London's Leicester Square.
STOWMARKET teenager Laura Forde will be reaching for the stars on Sunday when she competes to become a lead vocalist in an international pop band.
Laura, 16, from Stowmarket, is one of 15 talented pop wannabes taking part in Star Search 2003 which is being held at Sound, in London's Leicester Square.
The competition was launched last year by Top Of The Pops Magazine is association with Polaroid and the Academy of Contemporary Music (ACM), Europe's leading school for rock and pop musicians.
More than 1,500 teenagers from across the UK auditioned for the competition before numbers were whittled down to 40 and then the final 15.
You may also want to watch:
Laura will have to perform two songs she has chosen in front of a panel of judges. The judges will include top producers from Jiant Productions, who have penned chart topping tracks for Five, Samantha Mumba and the Spice Girls and representatives from ACM, Polaroid and Top Of The Pops Magazine. Chris Herbet, the Spice Girl's original manager will also be present.
"We aim to make it a day to remember for all the contestants," said Corinna Shaffer, editor of Top Of The Pops Magazine.
- 1 Could Aldi closure prompt all change in Ipswich shops?
- 2 Aldi store on Ipswich estate 'set to close within weeks'
- 3 Can you spot yourself in our first class school pictures from 2002?
- 4 Gymophobics ladies' gym in Ipswich set to close down
- 5 Four arrested after drug warrant carried out at Ipswich property
- 6 Britain's poshest train set to return to Ipswich
- 7 Churches prepare to open at Quay Place and the former Odeon cinema
- 8 Mum praises trampoline park after changing rules for autistic son
- 9 Patient visiting rules relaxed at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- 10 Villagers call to stop 'hazardous' 5-week road closure with huge diversions
"We have BBC Radio 1Xtra presenter Letitia SD hosting the event and two of the hottest new boybands in the country, Triple Eight and D'Side, will be performing for the finalists and their supporters."
Laura, an A-level student at Stowupland High School, entered the competition after her manager, Martin Shave, saw an advert in The Stage newspaper.
"I was thrilled to make it through," she said after winning her place in the final.
"I used to sing in the church choir and I was always singing really. I go in for lots of competitions. I'm a karaoke queen."
The winner of Sunday's final will secure a place in an international pop band whose first single will be written and produced by Jiant. Auditions for another member have also been held in America.
One runner up with win a £6,000 scholarship to the ACM while others will win Saturday school or summer school places or a day of recording time with Jiant.