Stowmarket Coastbusters to take on 150-mile coast-to-coast venture for EACH
- Credit: Archant
A 150-mile coast-to-coast cycle ride may seem a gruelling feat, but on Saturday 12 amatuer cyclists will saddle up and take on the challenge in aid of East Anglia’s Children’s Hospices (EACH).
To add to the achievement, the friends, most of whom live in Stowmarket, want to complete the mountainous route from the Western Lake District to Whitby in just 24 hours, despite it normally being taking four or five days.
The group, named Coastbusters, has said that the support from their families, friends and the public is spurring them on, and has already seen them reach their fundraising target of £5,300 - enough to run EACH’s Treehouse, the Ipswich branch of the hospice, for one day.
Coastbusters member Lauren Staples said: “We decided to support EACH because they are a local charity that do invaluable work.
“Most of us didn’t even own bikes at the start of 2016 so the Coast to Coast bike ride will be the toughest thing we have ever done. However, it will be nowhere near as tough as what the families supported by EACH go through everyday.
“Fortunately none of us has first hand experience of this but we can only imagine how invaluable this support is.
“We’re aiming to raise £5,300 which will pay for The Treehouse, EACH’s hospice in Ipswich, for one day and give us 5,300 reasons to keep cycling when it gets tough.”
- 1 Mercedes and Vauxhall flip over after crash in busy Ipswich road
- 2 Suffolk M&S stores to stay open as Colchester shop closes down
- 3 Calls to crush and seize cars to tackle ongoing anti-social behaviour
- 4 Ipswich drug dealer found with 30 bags of cocaine jailed
- 5 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 6 Teenage boys arrested after police seize suspected class A drugs in Ipswich
- 7 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 8 24-year-old man banned from driving for three years
- 9 Man caught in undercover police sting trying to meet '13-year-old girl'
- 10 Two cars have windows smashed in same Ipswich residential street
Hannah Walker, EACH community fundraiser, said: “We are so grateful to the team members of Coastbusters, not only have they taken on this mighty challenge they have chosen to support our wonderful charity.
“They have been working so hard to hit there fundraising target along side training to cycle 150 miles in just 24 hours.
“We are so grateful for all their support which will enable us to continue our vital work with local children, young people and their families.
“We wish you all the luck for your coast to coast challenge.”
To donate to the cause, visit: www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Coast-busters12