Students turned away after blaze
MORE than 1,000 staff and students at a Suffolk college today were turned away today after part of the building was destroyed by fire. West Suffolk College's art and design centre was gutted by the blaze.
MORE than 1,000 staff and students at a Suffolk college today were turned away today after part of the building was destroyed by fire.
West Suffolk College's art and design centre was gutted by the blaze.
The fire took hold of the single storey building in Risbygate Street in Bury St Edmunds at just after 10.30pm yesterday.
It is believed the fire started as a result of an electrical fault and damage was contained to the office area of the building which is used for teaching.
You may also want to watch:
Nick Foster, principal of the college, said: "The fire has completely destroyed one office which has been gutted. There has been some smoke damage to an adjoining room but fortunately we have been very lucky as the result could have been a lot worse.
"The fire could have easily spread to other areas but our fire alarm worked very well and the fire brigade got here very quickly and contained the fire to a small area."
- 1 Ipswich father caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 2 Woman in 80s remains in hospital after serious collision in Ipswich
- 3 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 4 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 5 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 6 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 7 Bicycle stolen from parked car in Ipswich
- 8 'Massive success' - see pictures from Ipswich LGBT+ night
- 9 'Paper' loss does not affect Ipswich council's income from property - Ellesmere
- 10 Will Ipswich betting shop be turned into fish and chip shop?
Fortunately no course work was damaged in the fire but desks, computers and photocopying machines were destroyed.
Martin Wagner, director of business and student services, said: "We believe the fire started as a result of an electrical fault. We will begin cleaning up today but Suffolk House and Edmund House is closed because of safety reasons as the fire alarm system is not working.
"We are very fortunate that our recovery plan went into action effectively and everyone did as they were supposed to do."
Suffolk House and Edmund House is expected to re-open tomorrow for Saturday's school.
Three crews from Bury St Edmunds and Ixworth attended the blaze and it took firefighters more than an hour to bring the fire under control.