Suffolk and Essex fans left devastated as Adele cancels two sell-out Wembley concerts
- Credit: PA
Hundreds of fans across the region have been left disappointed after waiting months to see superstar Adele in concert this weekend.
The Hello singer has said she is “devastated” after being forced to cancel her last two sell-out shows at Wembley Stadium tonight and tomorrow - amid speculation she may never tour again.
The 29-year-old star apologised after damaged vocal chords meant thousands of fans will miss out on seeing the star performer her last concerts of the year.
Reacting on social media, Julie Louise Schofield said: “Had four tickets. Absolutely gutted we can’t go.”
Mel Barron added: “My daughter and I were going tonight. Yes we are disappointed but given what has happened in Manchester and London the past few months, it is not the end of the world.
“Hopefully she will rearrange the dates.” And Haydn Tina Lucock said: “We were due to go tonight.
“Gutted, yes, but there aren’t many artists who would take the time to write an apology to their fans. “Wish her a speedy recovery so we can see her in concert.”
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 3 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 4 Van driver in his 20s dies in Elmswell crash
- 5 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 6 Man dies following single vehicle crash near Ipswich
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 8 'Vile violation of trust' - son hits out after carer stole £1,700 from mum
- 9 A14 closed overnight as lorry overturns in multi-vehicle pile up
- 10 Politicians make Ipswich a third division town
Adele had already performed two nights to crowds of around 98,000 fans on Wednesday and Thursday night and tickets for her Saturday and Sunday shows were also due to be before capacity crowds.
On a post shared on social media, she said: “To say I’m heartbroken would be an understatement.
“The last two nights at Wembley have been the biggest and best shows of my life. To come home to such a response after so long away doing something I never thought I could pull off but did has blown me away.
“However, I’ve struggled vocally on both nights. I had to push a lot harder than I normally do.”
The Grammy award winner said she went to see a throat doctor on Friday night, who advised her not to perform over the weekend.
She said: “I’m already maxed out on steroids and aids for my voice.
“I’ve considered doing Saturday night’s show but it’s highly unlikely I’d even make it though the set and I simply can’t crumble in front of you all and walk out on you in that way.
“I’m so desperate to do them that I’ve even considered miming, just to be in front of you and be with you.
“But I’ve never done it and I cannot in a million years do that to you. It wouldn’t be the real me up there.”
The star said she would not take the decision lightly, adding: “To not complete this milestone in my career is something I’m struggling to get my head around and I wish that I wasn’t having to write this.
“It’s something I’m really struggling to come to terms with. It’s as if my whole career has been building up to these four shows.”
She said refunds would be available to fans if shows cannot be rescheduled, signing off with: “I’m sorry, I’m devastated.
“I’m sorry. I love you. I’m so sorry. Please forgive me x.”
In a note published in the programme for the first two Wembley gigs, she said that “touring doesn’t suit me particularly well” because “I’m a real homebody”.
She added: “I wanted my final shows to be in London because I don’t know if I’ll ever tour again and so I want my last time to be at home.”