Man charged with allegedly carrying machete in town centre
- Credit: Archant
A man carrying a machete was reportedly spotted in Ipswich on one of the busiest Christmas shopping days of the year.
Police were called shortly before 3.30pm on Saturday, December 22 following reports of a man being seen with a machete in the centre of Ipswich.
Suffolk Constabulary arrested Vamps Fountain, a 40-year-old man, of no fixed address, in connection with the incident in the town centre.
A short time after the arrest, Fountain was taken to the Martlesham police investigation centre for questioning.
Fountain was subsequently charged with possessing an offensive weapon in a public place.
You may also want to watch:
He was remanded into custody and was due to appear at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court today, Monday, December 24.
- 1 Martlesham man caught with indecent images for second time
- 2 These are the neighbourhoods in Suffolk where Covid rates are still rising
- 3 Parents 'distraught' after teenage boy is violently assaulted in Chantry
- 4 New Aldi store takes shape near Morrisons in Ipswich
- 5 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 6 Ipswich woman who was 'too big' to operate on loses 8 stone after health scare
- 7 When Anita Dobson visited Ipswich - and more 1980s pub memories
- 8 Snow could hit Suffolk as overnight temperatures set to plunge
- 9 Could a change in bus services help keep passengers moving post-Covid?
- 10 Campaign against two more solar farms gathers strength in Suffolk villages