International students write love letters to county for Suffolk Day
- Credit: Suffolk New College
International students at an Ipswich college have written of their love of the local area ahead of Suffolk Day.
The students at Suffolk New College all study English as a second language (ESOL) courses and were asked to explain their love for the county as part of a voluntary competition.
More than 50 entries were made for the competition, with four winners announced ahead of the Suffolk Day celebrations on Monday, June 21.
Among the students' favourite things in the county included the Ipswich Waterfront and Christchurch Park, as well as the kindness of strangers.
Others included long weekend drives through the countryside and the county's rich history and castles.
You may also want to watch:
The four winners, Erfan Ibrahim, Sipan Najat, Syzmon Lesnikowski, and Tamanna Begum were each given £25 vouchers donated by sponsor Nice PR.
Sipan, 18 and from Iraq, said he feels safe in Suffolk – and added he as become a big fan of Ipswich Town FC.
- 1 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 2 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 3 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 6 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 7 Holly holding onto new hope in eating disorder recovery process
- 8 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 9 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
Another winner, 20-year-old Tamanna, from Bangladesh, said: “It doesn't matter who you are or where you’re from, with hard work and dedication, anything in life is possible."
Suzy Haynes, head of ESOL at the college, said: “We were overwhelmed by the response of our students who really enjoyed joining the Suffolk Day celebrations via this competition.
"All of the entries were upbeat in terms of the experience of being in Suffolk so it makes you proud to live and work here.”
John Nice from Nice PR, said he was "moved" by the heart-warming entries.
He said: “I was moved by the entries. There was lots of optimism, positivity and hope - and that’s incredibly heart-warming.
"I'm so glad that almost everyone who entered thanked the college and the local community - and that they enjoy living in this amazing county.
"The words they created are a fitting tribute to the Suffolk Day celebrations.”
Elsewhere at the college, students from the four college campuses in Ipswich, Halesworth, Leiston and Otley, took part in a photo competition as part of Suffolk Day.