Anti-Brexit campaigners to march along Ipswich Waterfront today
- Credit: Archant
Supporters of the European Union will take to the streets of Ipswich today as part of a nationwide day of action against a hard Brexit.
The Suffolk EU Alliance is hosting its “Let’s Stay Together” rally at the Waterfront from 11am, with the Great Eastern March starting at 12noon.
Following the parade, there will be a series of talks from experts in a variety of fields related to Brexit.
Speakers include Ipswich MP Sandy Martin, who campaigned for remain, Alex Mayer, a Member of the European Parliament for the East of England, and Jack Dart, who cofounded the Inspire EU group to oppose a hard Brexit.
Jack Abbott, who represents Ipswich’s Bridge division at Suffolk County Council, will also be speaking, along with Jessica Simor QC, who represented a claimant in a high profile Brexit court case, and Rob Davidson a scientist involved in Scientists for EU and Healthier IN the EU.
You may also want to watch:
Other speakers include Jo Hayes, Liberal Democrats’ regional chairman for the East of England, Carole Convers, a French national who has lived in the UK since 1988 and is the project leader for In Limbo: Brexit Testimonies from EU Citizens in the UK, and Daisy Cooper, the Liberal Democrats’ parliamentary candidate for St Albans.
Tim Evans, of The Fact Bus - an alternative to the red bus used by Brexiteers in the EU Referendum campaign - will claim that rather than bringing a £350m a week windfall, Brexit will “present us with a £2billion a week bill”.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 9 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 10 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions
The event is billed as a “celebration of 45 years of EU/EC membership” and will seek for the Government to give the public a vote on the final Brexit deal.
Suffolk EU Alliance chairman Jules Ewart said: “Our speakers – experts, one and all – will explain the reality of our predicament.
“We openly welcome anyone who would like join us fight to retain our existing co-ownership of our continent of Europe.
“We are reiterating the need and advantages for our children and grandchildren to have the right to benefit from the opportunities that we have enjoyed, namely the right to study, work and retire anywhere in our wonderful and diverse continent.”