Town centre flats evacuated after chip pan fire
- Credit: OLIVER SULLIVAN
People living at Elliston House in Ipswich were evacuated from their homes amid fears a fire started by a chip pan could spread throughout the building.
The premises in Elm Street was evacuated after crews were alerted to a blaze in the kitchen at roughly 5.30pm, Saturday, June 1.
Crews put a cordon in place as they ushered residents from the building on the edge of Ipswich town centre.
Incident commander Simon Hirst, of the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The fire was well-developed and contained inside the kitchen, although there has been extensive smoke damage inside the property.
"It was started by an old-fashioned chip pan.
You may also want to watch:
"Crews wore breathing apparatus and used hose reel jets to tackle the blaze, and are now cutting away inside the kitchen to assess the extent of the smoke damage behind the extractor hood."
Mr Hirst confirmed the male occupant of the flat was not injured, although was left shaken. He also stressed the importance of smoke alarms to ensure residents' safety.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 3 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 4 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 8 Trial set for man who robbed mum of her handbag
- 9 Ipswich parents can 'survive not thrive' on £15 half-term food vouchers
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
Residents were allowed to return to their homes shortly before 6pm after the fire was extinguished.