What did Ipswich docks used to look like in the 1970s?
- Credit: Owen Hines
We sail back to the Ipswich docks in 1979.
Before the Ipswich Waterfront's lavish makeover, the dock area on the quay was very much an industrial working environment.
Some enjoyed the Marina for leisure too, much like today there were all kinds boats moored at the quay.
The docks was a very busy place as people sailed their boats in and out of the quay.
The workers at the Ipswich docks unloaded a lot of heavy goods from the lorries that turned up.
You may also want to watch:
Some youngsters sat by water to do some fishing in the summer of 1979; the docks attracted people of all ages, and still does today.
A man precariously transported a heavy load in his wheelbarrow along the docks.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 3 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 4 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 5 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 6 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 7 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 8 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 9 Daughter pays tribute to keen sailor with 'contagious energy'
- 10 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
The docks formally known as the Waterfront, is now home to luxury bars, resturants and the University of Suffolk.
? Do you remember how the Ipswich docks used to look in 1979? To share ypour memories email firstname.lastname@example.org