Child reportedly run over by suspect in police car chase
- Credit: Archant
A child has been injured after reportedly being hit by a suspect’s vehicle during a police car chase in Ipswich.
Suffolk police said officers had asked the driver of a Renault Clio to stop in Cauldwell Road at around 8.30am today – but it made off.
During the ensuing police chase, the Clio is reported to have crashed into another vehicle and a garden wall in Goring Road.
A child, who is said to be of high school age, is thought to have been run over during the chase by the suspect vehicle in Halliwell Road.
They were taken by ambulance to Ipswich Hospital with a suspected broken leg and facial injuries.
Officers then arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of multiple offences including dangerous driving, failing to stop, being concerned in the supply of drugs, and theft of a motor vehicle. He has been taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre for questioning.
Road closures are in place at Goring Road and the junction with Halliwell Road and Lattice Avenue, while an investigation is carried out.
- 1 First look inside Ipswich's new Tim Hortons ahead of opening
- 2 Woman who claimed council tax support had income of £100k per year
- 3 ‘I’ve got no life’ - Ipswich woman's agony as she waits for operation
- 4 Drug dealer found with cannabis, 133 tablets and cash jailed
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 7 Star Suffolk breakfast blogger reveals her favourite food spots around Ipswich
- 8 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?
- 9 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
Suffolk Constabulary said it had referred the incident to the Independent Office for Police Conduct due to police interaction with the suspect vehicle . An independent investigation has been instigated.
Witnesses reported seeing police putting out signs to shut off Goring Road which is off Woodbridge Road East.
Keith Morrill, 67 who lives in Lattice Avenue, said: “I just saw the police cars come down the road and heard the sirens this morning at about half past eight.
“It seemed to be some sort of accident or something.
“I was walking up Goring Road but I couldn’t get through the police had closed it off.”
Rhys Pugh, 17, who lives on Lattice Avenue opposite Goring Road, said: “I had just walked out of the house the police were there already at about 10 to 11.
“I didn’t see any ambulances or anything.
“You don’t normally expect anything like that to happen here.
“It’s quite a quiet neighbourhood and I can’t remember the last time something like this happened here.”
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Suffolk police on 101, quoting reference CAD 57 of October 18.