‘The violence has to stop’ - Heartfelt appeal from relatives of ‘cheeky’ teen murdered in Ipswich
- Credit: Family
Relatives of the Ipswich teenager who was stabbed to death have made a heartfelt plea to end the violence that claimed their loved one’s life.
Tavis Spencer-Aitkens died following an attack in Packard Avenue at around 4.50pm on Saturday.
This morning his relatives addressed a press conference at Suffolk Constabulary’s headquarters in Martlesham Heath.
Sharon Box, Tavis’s mother, said: “Tavis was our world. He meant everything to us.
“We will remember him as having a lovely soul.
You may also want to watch:
“He was cheeky, outgoing, he loved his drill music and was a talented footballer.
“He was truly loved and is truly missed.
- 1 Brunch trip leaves friend group 'anxious' after spiking fears
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Matchday Recap: Celina wins it for Town and sends Portman Road wild
- 4 Crime map shows locations of weapons offences in Ipswich
- 5 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 6 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 7 First look inside Ipswich's new Geek Retreat games cafe
- 8 Man caused £26k worth of damage after setting fire to van and car
- 9 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 10 'It's like we're in the stone age' - Homophobic abuse halts LGBT+ parties
“My darling son Tavis was taken from unnecessarily, needlessly and cruelly on Saturday, June 2.
“He has left behind a heartbroken mother, twin brother Tyler, an amazing stepfather, loving grandparents, family and friends, who have been left absolutely devastated.
“If anybody witnessed this horrific attack or heard or saw anything could they please, please, please come forward.
“Nothing will bring Tavis back.
“All we have left now are our memories and all we can do now is to try to help bring those who took his life to justice.
“We don’t want any other family to suffer like we are suffering.
“This violence has got to stop.”
Helen Forbes, Tavis’s stepmother, made a further appeal for people to contact the police.
“You could hold the vital piece in the jigsaw which could ensure that at least the people who did this won’t do this to anyone else,” she added.
“All I want is those people held to account through the justice system for what they did to Tavis.
“Tavis was only 17.
“He should have had his whole life in front of him.
“He should have had the chance to have a family of his own.
“Now due to this senseless violence everything has been taken away from him and our family.
“This violence has got to stop before it breaks even more hearts, just like it has broken mine.
“I don’t want other parents or family members to feel the heartache and pain that we are feeling at this time.
Tavis, 17, of Pownhall Road, Ipswich, had been walking back from the shops in Queen’s Way when he was said to have been approached by two males on bicycles who attacked him.
A further four or five males were then said to have joined in the attack before fleeing the scene.
A post-mortem examination concluded that the cause of death was as a result of a single stab wound.
Detectives investigating the murder have arrested six people in connection with attack.
A 36-year-old woman from Essex was arrested yesterday on suspicion of assisting an offender and was questioned by detectives at Martlesham Police Investigation Centre. She has now been released under investigation whilst inquiries continue.
A 41-year-old man from the Ipswich area was arrested on Saturday night on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
And four males, aged 16, 18, 20 and 22 and who all have links to Ipswich, were arrested on Monday on suspicion of conspiracy to murder.
The five male suspects remained in custody yesterday after detectives made an application for a warrant of further detention at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court to allow extra time to question them.
A police pod remains in place near to the junction of Packard Avenue and King’s Way to enable members of the public to speak to police officers directly.
Officers are appealing for anyone with CCTV, dash cams, or mobile phone footage, who was in the area of Queen’s Way, Packard Avenue, Rands Way or Kingsway, between noon and 7.45pm on Saturday, June 2, to make contact.
Anyone with information about this crime is asked to contact the Major Investigation Team via the online portal or by calling 101 and quoting reference 30192/18.
Alternatively, contact the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.