Suffolk school cash boost
A SCHOOL is celebrating after its proposed building programme was given a half a million pound boost by the Government.Leiston Middle School is to receive the windfall as part of a £4 million package for school buildings in Cambridgeshire, Southend on Sea, Suffolk and Thurrock.
A SCHOOL is celebrating after its proposed building programme was given a half a million pound boost by the Government.
Leiston Middle School is to receive the windfall as part of a £4 million package for school buildings in Cambridgeshire, Southend on Sea, Suffolk and Thurrock.
Schools Minister Catherine Ashton announced the awards as part of a drive towards replacing old, poor quality school buildings, helping with special needs provision in mainstream schools, and creating new buildings.
Leiston middle school head Richard Nichols described the award as "fantastic" and said staff were "delighted".
You may also want to watch:
The money would help towards an ambitious scheme to remove three old buildings and create two teaching blocks and a new gymnasium from the four teaching blocks which exist at present – although more funds would be needed, he said.
"It will make a huge difference to the school. We have a difficult site with lots of teaching blocks and it will rationalise that site and give us some modern facilities," he said.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 5 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 6 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 7 'They saved a life' - neighbour praises firefighters in Ipswich house blaze
- 8 Developers seek views on plans for 150 homes on farmland
- 9 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 10 New Oasis Lounge bar planned for former Waterfront gym site
He is hoping to attract more money for the proposed scheme, which the school has wanted to carry out for the past ten years.