Suffolk set trend for police uniforms
IT'S all change at Suffolk constabulary as officers become the first in the country to ditch the traditional silver-buttoned tunic.The traditional uniform, based on an eighteenth century frock coat, hasgiven way to a new high-visibility yellow jacket.
IT'S all change at Suffolk constabulary as officers become the first in the country to ditch the traditional silver-buttoned tunic.
The traditional uniform, based on an eighteenth century frock coat, has given way to a new high-visibility yellow jacket.
And women officers will no longer have the option of skirts as trousers become compulsory kit to boost practicality.
The news came the same day that Suffolk revealed a baton gun as an alternative to firearms when dealing with serious offenders.
You may also want to watch:
The baton, which will only be issued to officers with specialist training, is the "less lethal option" to an armed response.
The guns produce no smoke or recoil and can only be used by fully trained firearms officers.
- 1 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 2 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 3 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 8 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
As well as the baton gun, Suffolk constabulary has teamed up with the Metropolitan force to use stab-resistant vests.
The high-density material vests, which cost £500 and fit so neatly they require 26 measurements, will be issued to front line officers to be worn over their uniform.
Suffolk's Assistant Chief Constable, Jerry Goddard, said: "The new uniform has been designed to be both practical and comfortable and meet the needs of today's police officer."