Suffolk set trend for police uniforms
IT'S all change at Suffolk constabulary as officers become the first in the country to ditch the traditional silver-buttoned tunic.The traditional uniform, based on an eighteenth century frock coat, hasgiven way to a new high-visibility yellow jacket.
IT'S all change at Suffolk constabulary as officers become the first in the country to ditch the traditional silver-buttoned tunic.
The traditional uniform, based on an eighteenth century frock coat, has given way to a new high-visibility yellow jacket.
And women officers will no longer have the option of skirts as trousers become compulsory kit to boost practicality.
The news came the same day that Suffolk revealed a baton gun as an alternative to firearms when dealing with serious offenders.
You may also want to watch:
The baton, which will only be issued to officers with specialist training, is the "less lethal option" to an armed response.
The guns produce no smoke or recoil and can only be used by fully trained firearms officers.
- 1 Dog mess thrown at Ipswich bakery staff in 'nasty' attack
- 2 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 3 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 4 New services and drive-thru coffee shop rejected
- 5 Ipswich mum's frustration as terminally ill son, 13, left unable to go home
- 6 Man dies in two-car crash on A12
- 7 Ipswich road to A14 cleared after collision between two cars
- 8 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars in July
- 9 Is Babergh Council the 'neighbour from hell' in planning?
- 10 Rape arrest after man sexually assaulted in town
As well as the baton gun, Suffolk constabulary has teamed up with the Metropolitan force to use stab-resistant vests.
The high-density material vests, which cost £500 and fit so neatly they require 26 measurements, will be issued to front line officers to be worn over their uniform.
Suffolk's Assistant Chief Constable, Jerry Goddard, said: "The new uniform has been designed to be both practical and comfortable and meet the needs of today's police officer."