Parks to be closed as Storm Gareth brings 60mph winds
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Borough Council are urging members of the public to take extra care today when they are in open spaces.
The Borough Council has put in extra safety precautions this morning to try and keep local people safe.
The safety measures see the closure of all major parks in the town.
A spokesman said: “The Council’s parks team has decided not to open the town’s major parks this morning during the high winds and, as some parks and open spaces cannot be locked, have advised residents to avoid any wooded areas.
“The situation will be monitored throughout the morning and the parks will be opened when it is safe to do so.”
You may also want to watch:
This means Christchurch Park and Christchurch Mansion will be closed until further notice.
The Orwell Bridge is also due to close this morning throughout this morning’s rush hour.
- 1 Supermarket switch opens door to new Ipswich Lidl
- 2 Former Ipswich teacher appears in court charged with historic sex offences
- 3 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 4 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Well-known Felixstowe bookseller to retire and hand over to vinyl store
- 7 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Man accused of Ipswich stabbing refuses to leave cell to enter plea
- 10 No need to wait for booster invitation - clarification after Covid jab confusion
Highways England tweeted: “If your heading towards the Orwell Bridge we will be closing it in both directions from approximately 700hrs due to very strong winds in the area. We will be closely monitoring the weather through out the morning. Please consider alternative routes.”
Don’t miss: All the details of the Orwell Bridge closure.
A Borough Council spokesman added: “It is hard to predict exactly when and how strong this latest storm will be but we always advise residents to take precautions.”
Take a look at our guide with everything you need to know about Storm Gareth here.