Orwell Bridge could close again for second day as high winds continue
- Credit: Peter Cutts
The Orwell Bridge is still closed this afternoon - and could have to close again tomorrow.
Highways England said on Twitter this afternoon that it hoped the bridge would be reopened soon.
It said: “We have resources who are en route to assess the situation and we are hoping to have bridge open soon.
“Unfortunately, as we are dealing with weathe,r we cannot say with certainty when the wind speeds will drop enough for the bridge to be able to reopen.”
It also said that it is “a possibility at this time” that it may have to close the bridge again tomorrow because of the winds, adding: “We are working closely with the Met Office.”
You may also want to watch:
Highways England said that, if it is going to be required to close the bridge again, it will issue an update this afternoon to allow people to plan ahead.
Its Twitter feed also said: “We cannot say for certain if it will be closed tomorrow. The decision is not taken lightly and is in response to weather which is not a certainty.”
- 1 These are the neighbourhoods in Suffolk where Covid rates are still rising
- 2 Ipswich woman who was 'too big' to operate on loses 8 stone after health scare
- 3 New Aldi store takes shape near Morrisons in Ipswich
- 4 Martlesham man caught with indecent images for second time
- 5 Parents 'distraught' after teenage boy is violently assaulted in Chantry
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: See the faces of the criminals locked up this week
- 7 People 'losing patience' with neighbours who flout Covid rules, police say
- 8 Snow could hit Suffolk as overnight temperatures set to plunge
- 9 When Anita Dobson visited Ipswich - and more 1980s pub memories
- 10 Tributes paid to Ipswich's 'best-loved shopkeeper' Hajara 'Sid' Singh
Weatherquest forecaster Fred Best predicted that it could be particularly gusty from around 9am onwards tomorrow, with more high winds, although Storm Gareth will have finished by then. “There could be gusts of 40 to 45mph and then picking up to 50mph around lunchtime and early afternoon.”
He said: “There will be a new set of fronts pushing through from the west tomorrow.
“There will be outbreaks of rain first thing and there could be a few heavy showers mid-morning.”
Mr Best added that more blustery weather was also expected on Friday and Saturday.
During Tuesday, wind speed readings on the bridge have gone above 60mph. The Orwell Bridge was closed from shortly after 7am, causing major travel delays across the town.
Parks across Ipswich had closed today, but this afternoon four parks in the town, Christchurch Park, Holywells Park, Alexandra Park and Bourne Park, were reopening.