Suffolk Young Carers enjoy day out at Ipswich Haven Marina
- Credit: Archant
A group of Suffolk young carers explored the Ipswich Haven Marina as part of an experience day organised by a team of ABP employees.
The carers enjoyed a series of activities including a walk around the marina, a talk on how the yard operates and demonstrations of vessels being hauled out of the water.
Spirit Yachts’ also provided a tour of their workshop.
The visit featured a trip down the Orwell River and a lunch at the Ipswich Haven Yacht Club, with a talk by Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).
Linda Pipe, Ipswich Haven Marina Manager, said: “Getting to know our young guests was truly inspirational as they fulfil an important function in our society at such a young age, by providing care for their relatives in need.
“Together with our customers we wanted to organise an educational day out for these children at our marina, as it would not only provide an opportunity for respite away from their caring duties but could also inspire them to develop an interest in the maritime industry.”
Paul Ager, ABP Divisional Port Manager – East Coast, said: “Following its opening in May 2000, the Ipswich Haven Marina has become a star attraction on the east coast.
- 1 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 2 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 3 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 4 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 5 Notcutts submit detailed plans for 14 homes on the edge of Ipswich
- 6 See inside stunning £1.15m home a stone's throw away from Christchurch Park
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
“We are fortunate as hundreds of visitors flock to our marina, thanks to its excellent location. Situated at the head of the River Orwell, amidst the historic and regenerated Ipswich Waterfront, the marina provides something for everyone.”
Suffolk Young Carers is a voluntary organisation, and a charity, offering information, support and advocacy to people aged 9-24 who, without payment, provide help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without their help.