Suffolk Young Carers enjoy day out at Ipswich Haven Marina
- Credit: Archant
A group of Suffolk young carers explored the Ipswich Haven Marina as part of an experience day organised by a team of ABP employees.
The carers enjoyed a series of activities including a walk around the marina, a talk on how the yard operates and demonstrations of vessels being hauled out of the water.
Spirit Yachts’ also provided a tour of their workshop.
The visit featured a trip down the Orwell River and a lunch at the Ipswich Haven Yacht Club, with a talk by Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI).
Linda Pipe, Ipswich Haven Marina Manager, said: “Getting to know our young guests was truly inspirational as they fulfil an important function in our society at such a young age, by providing care for their relatives in need.
You may also want to watch:
“Together with our customers we wanted to organise an educational day out for these children at our marina, as it would not only provide an opportunity for respite away from their caring duties but could also inspire them to develop an interest in the maritime industry.”
Paul Ager, ABP Divisional Port Manager – East Coast, said: “Following its opening in May 2000, the Ipswich Haven Marina has become a star attraction on the east coast.
- 1 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 2 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
“We are fortunate as hundreds of visitors flock to our marina, thanks to its excellent location. Situated at the head of the River Orwell, amidst the historic and regenerated Ipswich Waterfront, the marina provides something for everyone.”
Suffolk Young Carers is a voluntary organisation, and a charity, offering information, support and advocacy to people aged 9-24 who, without payment, provide help and support to a partner, child, relative, friend or neighbour, who could not manage without their help.