Summer preparations underway
WORKMEN are out in force in Felixstowe today as the resort gears up to entice thousands of visitors to have some family fun.New attractions will include the UK's first inflatable Viking ship, the all new Bar Blue and Club Blue, and some of the latest slot machines and video games.
WORKMEN are out in force in Felixstowe today as the resort gears up to entice thousands of visitors to have some family fun.
New attractions will include the UK's first inflatable Viking ship, the all new Bar Blue and Club Blue, and some of the latest slot machines and video games.
As the days are getting warmer and Easter is fast approaching Stan Harris and his team were out sprucing up the amusements and attractions next to the leisure centre.
Fence panels damaged in the October storms were being repaired and everything was being given a fresh lick of paint.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Harris said: "We are working hard to bring in a giant inflatable Viking ship for the kids to bounce around on. There have only been three of them made in the world and we will have the first one in the UK.
"Contrary to popular our job continues all year round. We have been open since February and it angers me that people think we just work over the summer and then spend six months in Barbados. The winter takes its toll on the equipment and we are constantly carrying out repairs and improvements".
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 3 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 4 Dog mess thrown at Ipswich bakery staff in 'nasty' attack
- 5 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 6 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 7 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 8 Power cuts in Ipswich leave businesses closed
- 9 'Large stones' thrown at lorry from A14 bridge near Ipswich
- 10 Is Babergh Council the 'neighbour from hell' in planning?
He is hoping to have the work finished by the weekend as the fine weather last Sunday drew in a crowd respectable at the height of summer.
Meanwhile Charlie Manning is also hard at work revamping his attractions for the Easter crowds.
He said: "CJ's sports bar has been replaced by Bar Blue, and Club Blue, which is aimed at the 18-30 age group, will be opening for the summer.
As for the fun fair, he described it as "Honey I Shrunk the Park". The Big Wheel and the Big Dipper are will be replaced by their smaller counterparts in a trend where less is more. Additions include a new slide for the children to play on and lots of new machines for the arcade.
Although the pier arcade foyer is being repainted at the moment and no doubt the machines will be updated, the platform that extends out to see will be closed again this season as it is said to be in danger of collapse.
The town's tourist office has given out over half its allocation of the new Suffolk Coastal brochure. Michelle Barr, resort services co-ordinator, said: "The response has been very positive. Lots of people are planning to come to Felixstowe and the Suffolk coast later in the year."