Sunshine and air races proved a great day out at Ipswich Airport in 1989
- Credit: Archant
Ipswich Airport was well known for the many public events that it hosted - and in 1989 it opened its gates to the masses to hold an air races event.
It was a chance for small aircraft owners to show off their vehicles and their flying skills, and for spectators to enjoy close up views of the machines.
Perhaps more importantly it provided a great day out for all of the family - helped by glorious sunshine on the day.
The event attracted hundreds of people to the Nacton Road site, with these pictures showing the crowds whiling away the day relaxing in the sunshine.
Ipswich Airport officially opened on Thursday, June 26, 1930 - and on its very first day held a celebratory event for the public.
You may also want to watch:
It held countless events in its 66 year history before closing its doors for the final time in 1996.
To share your memories of Ipswich Airport with us, email our picture desk.
- 1 Ipswich council faces financial black hole over empty BHS store
- 2 Man dies after being struck by lorry near A12
- 3 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 4 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 5 Suffolk man waits 12 hours for ambulance after suffering stroke
- 6 Felixstowe woman accused of setting fire to caravan and drink driving
- 7 Royal Mail confirms removal of Ipswich postbox
- 8 Arrest warrants issued for men facing sheep charges
- 9 Driver presses ahead with police complaint despite losing speeding trial
- 10 Semi-pro footballer ready to kickstart Football Fun Factory in Ipswich