Superstore is fined after worker hurt

ipswich: A superstore has been fined nearly �18,000 after a worker slipped on a puddle of grease and broke her arm.

Supermarket giant Morrisons was taken to court by Ipswich Borough Council’s environmental health team for breaching section two of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

The member of staff slipped on a grease spill in the Sproughton Road store’s kitchen.

Environmental health officer Rosemary Naylor said: “This serious accident could have been easily prevented had the company acted on a previous written warning and reduced the risk of staff slipping in these areas by improving the floor surface and/or providing anti-slip footwear.

“Our investigation revealed this type of accident continues to occur in food preparation areas in their stores across the UK.

“I hope this prosecution sends a message to all food businesses that they need to protect their staff from slipping hazards in their kitchens.”

Morrisons pleaded guilty on Monday and was fined �17,500 and ordered to pay the council’s costs of more than �32,000.

Most Read

Deputy council leader councillor Neil MacDonald, who is portfolio holder for Safer Ipswich, said: “Our environmental health team inspects many workplaces and investigates accidents each year.

“We always aim to secure improvement and compliance with the law to protect employees and the public.

“We hope that after this prosecution the company will make sure that all their staff are properly protected from slipping.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter