Suspected arsonist quizzed
A SUSPECTED arsonist is today being questioned by police after a blaze at a family home in Sudbury.It is understood that the fire was deliberately ignited at both the front and back doors of the detached property early today.
A SUSPECTED arsonist is today being questioned by police after a blaze at a family home in Sudbury.
It is understood that the fire was deliberately ignited at both the front and back doors of the detached property early today.
Two fire crews from Sudbury attended the blaze at the split level house in Parkwood Drive after neighbours alerted them to a fire in the hallway. Nobody was injured but firefighters battled for an hour to contain the flames.
The drama unfolded at about 2.15am after a neighbour was woken by banging on his front door.
You may also want to watch:
Victor Cole, 86, said: "The man next door came banging on my door and asked me to call the fire brigade. He said his house was on fire.
"The stink of smoke was swirling around my door and I quickly called 999.
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 5 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 8 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 Did drinkers behave on first Friday night after Freedom Day?
"I asked him if anybody else was in the house to which he replied no."
Today the house has been cordoned off and a policeman guarded the property waiting for scenes of crime officers to attend in order to carry out a thorough investigation.
The plastic front door was completely melted by the intense heat and the hallway was also badly damaged, together with the wooden fascia.
The neighbour said he had not seen the husband and wife who own the property since yesterday and he believes they may be away on holiday.
He said: "They normally let me know when they go away but as the two dogs do not appear to be at home I suspect they are in kennels and hence they are away on holiday."
A police spokeswoman said today: "We were called to the fire by the fire service as they suspected it to be suspicious. A 28-year-old man who lives in the Sudbury area has been arrested on suspicion of arson and is currently being held at Sudbury police station. He will be interviewed by officers today."