Sustained sex attack in Rope Walk, Ipswich last night left woman traumatised and in hospital
- Credit: Ashley Pickering
A young woman was left unconscious and needing hospital treatment after being subjected to a “despicable” sexual assault, police have said.
House-to-house inquiries are continuing in the Rope Walk area of Ipswich after the attack early on Saturday morning.
Officers are also appealing for any drivers who may have dash cam footage which could help their investigation to come forward.
• They have now released CCTV images of two men they wish to speak to - see more here
The victim, in her late 20s, received significant injuries to her face and neck in the attack which is thought to have lasted several minutes.
Suffolk Constabulary said the incident was reported to them today having occurred some time between 3am and 3.45am in Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
While walking along Rope Walk away from the town centre the victim was approached from behind by two men while crossing Grimwade Street.
The woman’s mouth was covered and she was then forced into a nearby car park where she was sexually assaulted.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 Border Force 'urgently responding' to incident off the Harwich coast
- 3 'Small number' of street workers in Ipswich, 15 years after Steve Wright murders
- 4 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 5 New movie to be shot in Suffolk in 2022, author announces
- 6 What are the Covid rates in Suffolk — and could Christmas be affected?
- 7 £1,600 worth of power tools stolen while owner was shopping
- 8 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 9 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 10 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
After the attack she was left injured and unconscious. A Suffolk Police spokesman said she is now being looked after by trained specialist officers.
A statement released by the police force said it is now carrying out extensive enquiries in the area near where the attack took place to identify those responsible.
Detective superintendent Eamonn Bridger said: “This is a despicable, sustained sexual attack by two unknown individuals on an innocent young woman, who has been left traumatised and with significant injuries as a result of the actions of the men involved”.
Detectives were back in the area on Sunday speaking to local residents. Local residents told us there had been concerns about drug dealers operating near the former social club – but they had never heard of any sexual assaults as serious as this in the area.
Anyone who may have witnessed or heard the attack, or who may have seen two men acting suspiciously in or walking towards the Rope Walk area of town between 3am and 3.45am on Saturday is urged to contact the police urgently.
The force is also asking that anyone who was out in the area of Rope Walk or nearby streets at the time of the attack to come forward, so that they can be eliminated from enquiries.
Officers are also particularly interested in hearing from anyone with dash cam footage who may have been driving in the area at the time of the offence.
The area around Rope Walk where the attack is said to have happened was sealed off earlier today by police officers starting their investigations.
If you can help the police investigation, or you may have been in the area at the time, call Suffolk Constabulary on 101 quoting crime number 19555/17, or alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.