Sword, guns and ammo handed in
A SAMURAI sword, guns and ammunition were among a variety of weapons handed in with no questions asked during a weapons amnesty in Felixstowe.Police hailed the week-long amnesty as a great success.
A SAMURAI sword, guns and ammunition were among a variety of weapons handed in with no questions asked during a weapons amnesty in Felixstowe.
Police hailed the week-long amnesty as a great success.
A yellow solid steel bin was in place 24 hours a day outside the bus depot in Langer Road for people to deposit their unwanted weapons to take potentially dangerous items out of circulation and stop them falling into the hands of someone who might use them for a criminal purpose.
Police spokeswoman Anne-Marie Breach said more than 30 assorted knives, a samurai sword, meat cleaver, flick knife, two air rifles and a quantity of ammunition such as trays and clips of bullets and shotgun cartridges were placed in the bin.
“We are delighted with the amount of weapons handed in and would like to thank all those who took advantage of the opportunity to dispose of items, to help make their community a little safer,” she said.
The amnesty was held as part of the nationwide Crimestoppers Week and included an awareness campaign to highlight knife crime.
- 1 Ipswich man jailed for 25 years after teen left paralysed in shooting
- 2 Devastated family wrongly told prisoner hanged himself weeks before release
- 3 Armed police arrest two 16-year-olds on suspicion of firearms offences
- 4 10,000 listeners tune in to new Suffolk radio station
- 5 'Depraved' Felixstowe man jailed for child sex offences
- 6 'It's very frustrating': Anger as £150 stolen from charity shop in Felixstowe
- 7 Serious fire breaks out at home in Woodbridge
- 8 How Covid restrictions will change in England this week
- 9 Kesgrave family move home to cope with 'crippling' cost of living
- 10 'Dire for hospitality in Ipswich' - grill owner hits out at hardship grants
A similar amnesty at Beccles saw 143 items handed in, including knives, a bayonet, flares and a ball bearing gun.