System has failed my violent son
WORRIED mum Mandy Gavin, whose son is facing his sixth consecutive Christmas behind bars, today pleaded for help to get him back on the straight and narrow. She claimed he had a behaviour problem and had been let down by the system.
By Richard Cornwell
WORRIED mum Mandy Gavin, whose son is facing his sixth consecutive Christmas behind bars, today pleaded for help to get him back on the straight and narrow.
She claimed her son Jamie Arnold, 20, had been let down by "the system" – leaving him caught in a vicious circle of being released, offending and going back to jail.
Violent thug Arnold is serving four months in a young offenders' institution for threatening behaviour towards a barmaid. He has totted up more than 60 offences in the past six years for assaults, thefts and robberies.
You may also want to watch:
But Ms Gavin said her son had a behavioural problem.
"I don't accept his behaviour – I quite understand how people feel about it – but I feel the
- 1 Audi left wrecked after late-night crash in Ipswich
- 2 Did you hear the loud 'bang' coming from Ipswich park?
- 3 Work to start on 150 new Ipswich council homes next year
- 4 Matchday Recap: Plenty of positives despite Palace defeat
- 5 Family concerned after 15-year-old girl reported missing from Ipswich
- 6 Woman 'alarmed and distressed' after verbal abuse in Ipswich
- 7 Jailed in Suffolk: Burglar, dangerous driver and drug dealer put behind bars
- 8 New homes and dormitory block planned for Ipswich school site
- 9 See inside 5 of the most expensive dream homes in Ipswich
- 10 The 10 most Instagrammable spots in Ipswich - is your favourite on the list?
system has let him down," she said.
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR