Tagging order for boy

PUBLISHED: 15:00 10 August 2001 | UPDATED: 15:16 03 March 2010

AN IPSWICH teenager who caused thousands of pounds worth of damage in a road smash and then fled the scene has been electronically tagged and ordered to obey a curfew.

Page 9 lead . . . . . . .with pix . . . .By Lisa Baxter

AN IPSWICH teenager who caused thousands of pounds worth of damage in a road smash and then fled the scene has been electronically tagged and ordered to obey a curfew.

The 15-year-old, who cannot be identified due to his age, will be confined to his home for the next four months between 6pm and 6am for a series of motoring offences, including dangerous driving and failing to stop after an accident.

The court heard how a witness in Kipling Road noticed the driver of a blue Astra car "lose control" at around 12.15pm on May 16.

"The vehicle careered across the road," said John Everitt, prosecuting. It smashed through concrete posts, ripped through a fence and into a Mercedes car. "The damage was considerable," Mr Everitt said.

"The driver got out of the vehicle and ran from the scene," he told magistrates sentencing the teenager at South East Suffolk Magistrates Court yesterday. [7/8]

The boy, who does not attend school, was arrested early the next day at his home by police. He showed officers where the keys to the car were but told them another youngster had been driving the vehicle at speed and had jumped out moments before the smash, Mr Everitt said.

The teenager told police he had then taken over at the wheel in an attempt to try to control the car but the brakes failed. "He ran off because he was scared," Mr Everitt said the boy told officers.

But a police vehicle examiner found that the brakes would have been working prior to the smash.

Graham Skippen, representing the teenager, said the youngster had apologised to the Mercedes owner for the damage he had caused.

The boy had pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, failing to stop after a crash, driving otherwise than in accordance with a driving licence, driving with no MOT and driving without insurance, at an earlier court hearing.

"It's not much help but he is contrite about it," said Mr Skippen. The court heard the teenager committed the offences at a time when he was already on an "action plan" imposed earlier this year for burglary.

Magistrates said the teenager had a "frightful" criminal record for someone of his age. "It's time you grew up. This is your last chance," said Diana Hunt, chairman of the bench, telling the boy the sentence for dangerous driving would normally be prison and his actions had been "thoroughly stupid and foolhardy".

But due to his remorsefulness and the fact he had apologised to the car owner, magistrates said they were imposing a nightly curfew on the teenager until December 4. He was also ordered to pay £250 compensation to the vehicle owner (which his mother will have to fork out for), and was disqualified from driving for 12 months. His licence (when he gets one) will be endorsed for driving with no insurance and for failing to stop after an accident.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Ipswich Star